About our test
Good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices are only a part of your skin care programme. But actually delaying the signs of ageing or slowing them down requires that you take that one extra step – The SkinCareDNA test is a new, cutting-edge scientific approach to your skin care that result in less wrinkling, less pigmentation and a healthier, more radiant appearance. The price of the SkinCareDNA test is of R2295 but the way in which the results could contribute to improving your skin – priceless. Results for this test are ready in 15 working days from receipt of samples.
The 7 ageing areas we look at
This test examines key genetic markers in the following 7 categories. Understanding your gene impact on these 7 categories will help take better control of the ageing process by choosing the right skin care programme and altering your life style. The results will determine whether you are at low risk or high risk of the following factors, as well as provide you with a detailed explanation about each, tailored to your specific result.
- Wrinkling (A.G.E.) – A.G.E or Advanced Glycation End products play a pivotal role in wrinkling and skin ageing by inhibiting synthesis and function of collagen and elastin fibres. Are you genetically armed to fight these damaging A.G.Es?
- Sun protection – The sun is the primary, external factor involved in the ageing of our skin. However, some people are more genetically predisposed to sun damage than others. We don’t all cope with sun damage in the same way because our genetic makeup is different from one individual to the next.
- Sensitivity + Inflammation – Is your skin prone to inflammations and irritations? This may actually be down to your genes. Through this test we can identify whether you have gene variations which could be contributing to sensitivity and inflammation and help you find ways to reduce or alleviate that redness and sensitivity.
- Elasticity – younger skin is more elastic but this elasticity declines with age. However, with age enzymes known as MMPs begin gnawing away at the skin matrix making it less elastic. These enzymes are always present in the body however, they may increase in number as we age and further triggers can include sun exposure and environmental influences.
- Pigmentation – You skin’s colour, hair and eye colour are primarily the result of the melanin in our bodies. Melanin is the body’s defence barrier protecting us against UV-induced photodamage. Melanin helps dissipate the UV light out skin absorbs thus avoiding some of the damage these rays could cause to our skin. However, some people may be genetically predisposed to produce too little or too much melanin.
- Collagen quality – Collagen is what helps give our skin strength. How efficient is your body at producing collagen? Collagen is the most important protein involved in skin ageing. Your genes could affect your body’s collagen production resulting in a decline in your appearance.
- Skin antioxidants – Free radicals are highly damaging to our skin but luckily our bodies produce antioxidants to fight free radicals. However, some gene variations could be affecting the production of antioxidant which means you may be ageing faster.
How does your body fight skin ageing?
We fight ageing by eating healthily, drinking lots of water, moisturising, avoiding the sun and not smoking – but this is only part of the battle. We need to understand how our body and our skin really fights ageing by understanding our own unique DNA makeup. Our DNA varies from individual to individual and some individuals are genetically speaking, better armed at fighting the signs of ageing. If you have the wrong skin care regime, the wrong lifestyle and the wrong genes, you could really be accelerating the skin ageing process.
In order to map your skin’s unique genetic characteristics, we look at very specific information encoded in what are known as SNPs (short for Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) to determine your “genetic risk” to various ageing factors. These SNPs are essentially DNA sequences which correlate to certain effects on the appearance of our skin.
It just takes a few minutes
Sample collection for your SkinCareDNA test takes just a few seconds. Using out home sample collection kit you can actually carry out the sample collection yourself – no need for a doctor or any specialist to assist you with your test. Our kit contains oral swabs. You just need to rub the swabs inside your mouth for ten seconds and then return them to use for testing. Once we have the samples we can isolate the DNA from your inner cheek to provide you with your detailed report. Once you have your report, you can discuss a real clinical anti-aging solution with your skin therapist.
Get the Guidance from a PhD Genetic Specialist
Our genetic counsellor is a healthcare professional in the field of genetics. A counsellor can help individuals find peace of mind or reduce concerns and worries by providing the right balance of information about their test results. They will lay out all the options, treatments and explain any risks besides answering all your questions. The genetic counselling service is available with all our DNA tests and strongly recommended for our clinical and health tests.